Reminder – there will be ONE service only this Sunday, September 29th at 9:00 a.m.
Bearers of Loving Kindness
In this long, long election season, politicians are apt to talk about concern for the “middle class” who make up a substantial group of voters, and thus are of value to politicians. Jesus is not a politician, he is not pursuing votes, and he has not forgotten the poorest of the poor. This is as much a radical message today as it was two thousand years ago.
In this week’s gospel reading from the sixteenth chapter of Luke (Luke 16:19-31) we consider the parable of the rich man and the poor and sick man named Lazarus who is forgotten and ignored in life, though tended to after death as one of those most welcome in Paradise. The parables in these chapters of Luke are challenging to read and understand at one level, and very clear at another level.
We invite you to St. Paul’s to encounter the disruptive teaching of Jesus who has come to transform God’s people into the bearers of loving kindness.
O God, you declare your almighty power chiefly in showing mercy and pity: Grant us the fullness of your grace, that we, running to obtain your promises, may become partakers of your heavenly treasure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Altar Flowers are given in memory of Robert Bodine.
Lee Food Pantry
This week’s food pantry suggestion is canned tuna. Please bring this or other non-perishable food items with you to church on Sunday to share with those in need in our community. (Suggested items for next week are: pasta, rice and beans).
Gospel of Matthew – Bible Study
Beginning Next Tuesday, October 1, 6:00-7:30 p.m
Our first of six sessions will focus on chapter 1 of the accompanying book, Conversations with Scripture: The Gospel of Matthew, by John Yieh (published by Morehouse Publishing). To participate, sign up at the back of the church and get the book (available new, used, or electronically from Amazon). Questions? Ask Father Sam.
Baroque Concert — Saturday, October 12, 5:00 p.m. at St. Paul’s
The concert promises to be a real Baroque extravaganza with music from the late 16th and early 17th centuries (a very experimental period in the history of music) and will feature Emily Hale, Baroque violin, Anne Legêne, viola da gamba, and Mariken Palmboom, harpsicord. The program will end with a not so often heard sonata by J.S. Bach. Donations will be gratefully accepted.
Mark Your Calendars!
- Tues., October 1 Bible Study at 6:00 p.m.
- Sun., October 6 Blessing of the Animals at 3:00 pm in the church yard
(We will gather inside the church in the event of rain.)
- Sat., October 12 St. Paul’s will volunteer at the Lee Food Pantry
- Sat., October 12 Baroque Concert at 5:00 p.m.
Worship Teams (If you exchange shifts with someone, please notify the Church Office by Thursday morning at email@example.com.)
This Sunday, September 29
|Celebrant:||The Rev. Sam Smith|
|Preacher:||The Rev. Jane Tillman|
|9 am||Jean Rousseau, Greeter & Lector|
|Matt Fillio, Usher|
|Kendra MacLeod, Intercessor|
|Robin Race, Altar Guild|
|Hospitality — POTLUCK|
|Frank Scafuri, Organist|
Next Sunday, October 6
|Celebrant/Preacher:||The Rev. Sam Smith|
|8 am||Jorja Marsden|
|10 am||Diane Dillon, Greeter|
|Deb Pege, Usher|
|Diana French, Lector|
|Don Temples, Intercessor|
|Jennifer Carmichael, Altar Guild|
|Diana French & Patty Melville, Hospitality|
|Nancy King, Organist|
Parish Prayer List
- People we pray for on Sundays: Cecilia
- Long-term prayer list: George, Jeff, David, Doug, Barbara, Charles, ZsuZsa, Tom, Rich, Ronnie, Karen, Michael, Christy, John, George
- Our partners at Grace Church, Great Barrington and the Rev. Janet Zimmerman; Trinity Episcopal/Christ Lutheran, Sheffield and the Rev. Erik Karas; the Austen Riggs community and the Riverbrook Residence; victims of violence, abuse, persecution and disaster at home and abroad
- Outreach Ministries of the Week: Cathedral of the Beloved
- Diocesan Cycle of Prayer: Holy Spirit, Sutton
- Anglican Cycle of Prayer: Episcopal Church
- Birthdays: Carl Sprague (27th), Jane Tillman (30th)
- Anniversaries: Don & Kim Savery (30th)