This week’s gospel reading (Luke 6:17-26) comes from the Sermon on the Plain. Jesus is in the middle of a crowd of seekers who have come from far and wide. We can assume that they had heard stories about this remarkable man and came looking for his wisdom and healing touch.
What are you seeking? What are you hungry for? We are much like those who came to Jesus with their curiosity and their wounds. We want to learn how to better navigate this earth; we want to find healing for our ailments, whether physical, psychological, or spiritual.
Jesus begins by healing all who gathered there, and then he taught: First meeting their needs, then feeding their souls. And the text for his teaching is none other than beatitudes, in Luke’s version with four blessings and four woes. This Sunday we explore this profound teaching and consider its meaning for this time and place. Welcome to St. Paul’s.
O God, the strength of all who put their trust in you: Mercifully accept our prayers; and because in our weakness we can do nothing good without you, give us the help of your grace, that in keeping your commandments we may please you both in will and deed; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Lee Food Pantry
This week’s food pantry suggestion is cereal. Please bring this or other non-perishable food items with you to church on Sunday to share with those in need in our community. (Suggested item for next week is: fruits and vegetables.)
St. Paul’s Prayer Circle will meet this Tuesday, February 19, from 5:30-6:30 p.m., for contempletive prayer.
If you would like to honor or remember a loved one by providing altar flowers, the following Sundays are available: Feb. 24; Mar. 3; June 9; Aug. 25; Sep. 22; Nov. 10; Dec. 1, 8. To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us the date you’d like to reserve, the wording of the announcement, and whether or not you’d like the office to order the flowers for you (cost is $60).
Worship Teams (If you exchange shifts with someone, please notify the Church Office at email@example.com.)
This Sunday, February 17
Celebrant/Preacher: The Rev. Sam Smith
8 am: Pam Drumm, Assisting
10 am: Peter Dillon, Greeter
Don Cook, Usher
Matt Fillio, Lector
Vaunie Graulty, Intercessor
Natalie Boyce, Altar Guild
Vaunie Graulty and Kendra MacLeod, Hospitality
Nancy King, Organist
Next Sunday, February 24
Celebrant: The Rev. Jane Tillman
Preacher: The Rev. Sam Smith
8 am: Jorja Marsden, Assisting
10 am: Tom Skakel, Greeter
Jean Rousseau, Usher & Intercessor
Kendra MacLeod, Lector
Jorja Marsden, Altar Guild
Nancy King, Organist
Parish Prayer List
- People we pray for on Sundays: Cecilia, Ray, Jackie, Bill, James
- Long-term prayer list: Jeff, David, Doug, Barbara, Charles, ZsuZsa, Tom, Rich, Ronnie, Karen, Michael, Christy, John, George
- Our partners at Grace Church, Great Barrington and the Rev. Janet Zimmerman; Trinity Episcopal/Christ Lutheran, Sheffield and the Rev. Erik Karas; the Austen Riggs community and the Riverbrook Residence; victims of violence, abuse, persecution and disaster at home and abroad
- Outreach Ministries of the Week: Laundry Love
- Diocesan Cycle of Prayer: Good Shepherd, Clinton
- Anglican Cycle of Prayer: Church of the Province of Central Africa
- Birthdays: Bette White (17th), Willie Winn (19th), Tommy & David Carman, Matthew Weston (23rd)